Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Rooted.

So we are supposed to read up on nationality and write about it from our perspective. I'm not sure if reading about a certain topic and writing about the said topic is something I would chose to do, because I would either rewrite the whole thing in my own words or just whip up an entire essay on what I think about the matter.

Nationality. I began with trying to find out what people think about it. Best source? Yahoo!Answers. If asked why, and speaking with respect to the subject, I'd say it is because people from different nationalities, cultures and backgrounds come together to ask, answer and share their thoughts. It isn't always a reliable source with respect to facts, but owing to the want to know what everybody thinks about EVERYTHING, that's my search preference by default!

"The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization."
When a baby is born, the first distinguishing feature would be its race. Blue eyes, black hair, dark skin, whatever it is. You see that the baby is also the part of an ethnic group. But as you broaden the circle, the baby also becomes the part of a culture, and a region "enclosed" within the tangles of a whole nation; and yes, I say tangles because almost every nation exhibits diversity in practically every sense. Let it be based on geography, language, environment, niche or culture, these diverse strings are entwined together to form the nation as a whole. As the baby grows up, it begins to identify itself with its surroundings; the people around, the place, even the food and environment. This is what becomes its identity. Identity is a part of the person no matter where they go, the different places they chose to travel to or the diverse cultures that they experience, the person will always stay rooted to the one place they identify themselves with, and this is where the whole concept of nationality comes in.
Okay so I am a lovely daughter according to my parents, a GSB according to my extended family and other Brahmins, a konkani according to my friends, and a South Indian according to the North Indians. But then again, I do not see the point of, lets say "segregating" ourselves based on such trivial facts. I can be a brahmin, but as far as I know, I would share more interests and qualities with a greek I met on a plane than a brahmin guy my parents would want me to marry!
This, I think is because I was never "made" to follow a certain culture or "made" to believe in a deity. I was given the freedom to chose what I want to believe in and I eventually learnt to just be myself no matter what the situation is, as a result of which the only way in which I can actually, truly, identify myself with are the things I love. But this does not mean I don't enjoy Holi or Diwali, laddoos or the Christmas desserts which have a touch of Indian-ness to it! These bits represent the nation that I am a part of and make me who I am. I do consider myself to be a pakka Indian, and that is by choice, not by default. Your country is what binds the culture that you are a part of together, and no matter how diverse it is, I believe that your nationality does define you in a way, whether you like it or not.






No comments:

Post a Comment